Chris Bedford On Google Censorship: ‘It Doesn’t Fit With How They Hold Anyone Else Accountable’

Chris Bedford On Google Censorship: ‘It Doesn’t Fit With How They Hold Anyone Else Accountable’

Federalist Senior Editor Chris Bedford charged Google with employing a double standard over censorship Wednesday after the tech giant began threatening to ban The Federalist from profiting off Google ads because of content in its comment sections.

“If you go to Google-owned YouTube, or any place and read the comments section, often there’s a lot of visciousness in there that’s not moderated,” Bedford said on Fox Business. “It’s breaking their own code that protects Google.”

The Silicon Valley tech giant began threatening The Federalist over its comment sections which have since been temporarily suspended from the site, following a report from the NBC News “Verification Unit” who collaborated with a left-wing British think tank. While NBC News reported Tuesday that Google had already demonetized the website over its claims that Federalist commentary violated its rules, Google released a statement debunking its report, clarifying that The Federalist’s comment section is what triggered the company to prepare online sanctions.

Bedford said that while The Federalist has temporarily disabled its comments section, “we intend to bring it back when we get the opportunity to do so.”

“Just like with any other websites that Google moderates, we’re going to try and figure out a way to not have to devote constant attention to the comments section and let people speak freely and post freely,” Bedford said.

Tristan Justice is a staff writer at The Federalist focusing on the 2020 presidential campaigns. Follow him on Twitter at @JusticeTristan or contact him at [email protected]
Photo Grabien screengrab
Most Popular
Related Posts