It’s not easy for a movie trailer with one line of dialogue to rack up 15 million views in a matter of days, but it sure helps if that line is delivered by Werner Herzog. Released last Friday, “The Mandalorian” trailer instantly went viral, featuring Herzog as the only character to utter a sentence in more than 90 seconds of footage.
The man is an icon, and while we hardly needed a “Star Wars” trailer to prove it, the sheer impeccability of his fleeting appearance serves as a pretty good reminder.
On that note, let’s take a moment to appreciate Herzog—director of “Fitzcarraldo,” “Aguirre the Wrath of God,” “Grizzly Man,” and more, the man who loves French fries, catches trout with his bare hands, and never looks at himself in the mirror— by digging into the archives for a tour of his very peak performances.
1. His Commentary on Penguin Depression
2. His Incisive Joke about Male Genitalia on ‘Rick and Morty’
3. His Chilling Cameo on ‘Parks and Recreation’
4. The Time He Was Shot in the Middle of an Interview
5. The Time He Rescued Joaquin Phoenix
6. His Cameo on ‘American Dad’
7. ‘Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe’ (Obviously)
8. His Haunting Speech about Life in the Jungle
9. The Time He Learned John Waters Is Gay
10. His Performance in ‘Jack Reacher’
Paul F. Tompkins Reviewing a Hotel as Werner Herzog
Werner Herzog Narrates ‘Where’s Waldo?’