Likely Illegal Immigrant Arrested In Connection To ‘Brutal’ Nevada Killing Spree

Likely Illegal Immigrant Arrested In Connection To ‘Brutal’ Nevada Killing Spree

Police in Nevada announced on Sunday that a suspect in four mid-January homicides had been taken into custody. Nineteen-year-old Wilbur Ernesto Martinez-Guzman was arrested in Carson City last Saturday on an immigration charge. Washoe County Sheriff Darin Balaam said on Sunday that authorities “feel confident” they have “evidence that will link him to all four homicides.”

Martinez-Guzman has been charged with burglary, possession of stolen property, and obtaining money by false pretenses. He remains on an immigration hold, according to police. The suspect was arrested after authorities determined he “was likely in the United States illegally and was detainable,” Carson City Sheriff Ken Furlong revealed in a Sunday news conference.

Martinez-Guzman’s alleged victims include 56-year-old Connie Koontz, 74-year-old Sophia Renken, 81-year-old Gerald David, and his wife, 80-year-old Sharon David. Koontz was found dead in her home on Jan. 10, Renken on the 13th, and the David’s three days later. All four victims were shot to death, reported the local ABC affiliate.

“I feel strongly we have the man responsible for this, and that you can continue to go about your daily activities and live normally,” Douglas County Sheriff Dan Coverley insisted at the Sunday press conference. Washoe County District Attorney Chris Hicks said the communities involved “were shaken by these brutal murders.”

Authorities expect to file murder charges against Martinez-Guzman in the days ahead.

Emily Jashinsky is culture editor at The Federalist. You can follow her on Twitter @emilyjashinsky .
Related Posts